Ethiopian cuisine is diverse and delicious. Learning to cook Ethiopian dishes is a great way to spice up your meals and to try something new.
The best way to learn how to cook Ethiopian dishes from the comfort of your own kitchen is to find a great cookbook.
This list includes amazing Ethiopian cookbooks that are all written by female chefs (see also "Female Chef Moroccan Cookbooks You Do Not Want To Miss"). Keep reading to find out which one is going to be best for you.
Here are the top recommended Ethiopian cookbooks written by female chefs that you do not want to miss out on (see also "Female Chef Vegetable Cookbooks You Do Not Want To Miss").
OUR TOP PICK
Luladey Moges grew up in Ethiopia where she was taught to cook by the women in her family.
When she moved to the United States, she was keen to share her native cuisine and love of cooking with her friends.
This, in conjunction with her successful career in hospitality and fine dining management, makes her a true authority on how to put together a fantastic menu of delightful Ethiopian dishes.
- Photographs - There are fantastic photographs to accompany the recipes
- Advice - As well as recipes, there is information about the ingredients and the language
- Authentic - This book is written by an Ethiopian who learned to cook in their native country, and encompasses the social aspect of Ethiopian cuisine
- Ingredients - Some of the ingredients can be difficult to get hold of depending on where you live
This book gives you a good insight into Ethiopian cooking.
It includes a good range of traditional homestyle recipes, along with more modern dishes that you would expect to enjoy in an Ethiopian restaurant.
There is also a variety of meaty, vegetarian and vegan dishes so there is something for everyone.
This cookbook makes Ethiopian cooking accessible and enjoyable, with recipes that are easy to follow.
- Variety - There is a good range of recipes to choose from
- Simple - The recipes are clear and easy to follow
- Flavors - The recipes result in delicious dishes that are packed with flavor
- Photographs - It would be helpful if there were more photographs to guide you
Mulunesh Belay is a chef, teacher and restaurateur. She is well known for fantastic Ethiopian food and addictive recipes that keep her customers coming back for more.
This book contains 78 of her best recipes, all with step by step instructions to help you achieve the perfect results.
You will be able to create authentic, traditional flavors using modern techniques, making it easy to become a master of Ethiopian cooking from your own kitchen.
- Authentic - These recipes use authentic ingredients and create a traditional flavor
- Recipes - The recipes are instructional and easy to follow
- Photographs - The photos help to guide you through the recipes
- Preparation - Some of these recipes require a lot of preparation and are not quick to make
If you want to become a true master of Ethiopian cooking, this book is an ideal option for you.
It is not just a collection of recipes - it will teach you the foundations of the cuisine and how to create the bases for the sauces, giving you more creative freedom when it comes to building a truly authentic Ethiopian feast.
It also has tips on how to save time, making Ethiopian cooking more practical and accessible for everyday cooks.
- Photography - The photos help to show you what you are aiming for
- Recipes - There is a good range of recipes to choose from
- Informative - This book is very informative and helpful
- Finishing species - Some recipes are unclear as to how much spice to add in the final stages of the recipe
Sarah Casey Smith has released several popular cookbooks which delve into different cuisines.
This book is ideal for a beginner who has a limited knowledge of Ethiopian cuisine.
It includes information about the geography and history of Ethiopia, the main ingredients used in Ethiopian cooking, and recipes for the most popular dishes and beverages.
- Informative - This book has some interesting and useful information
- Recipes - It includes the most popular Ethiopian recipes
- Photography - There are great photos to accompany the recipes
- Authenticity - This book was written by an enthusiast rather than an expert
This book is part of a series written by Slavka Bodic, which explores various cuisines from across the world.
It is designed to be suitable for cooks of all levels of experience and is a great way to expand your knowledge and include some more exciting dishes into your menu.
It includes 111 Ethiopian recipes, offering an excellent range of dishes for you to try.
- Variety - There is a great variety of recipes to choose from
- Photography - The photos are lovely and help to guide you
- Recipes - The recipes are well-written and easy to follow
- Authenticity - This book is not written by an Ethiopian chef
This cookbook features a complete collection of Ethiopian recipes including traditional dishes and more modern recipes.
You will learn how to make appetizers, soups, main dishes, breads, side dishes and desserts.
The recipes vary in difficulty, so you can gradually develop your skills until you become an expert.
- Variety - There is an excellent variety of recipes
- Recipes - The recipes are easy to follow
- Photographs - The photos are a great addition to the book
- Authenticity - This book is part of series and not written by an Ethiopian chef
This book is designed as an introduction to Ethiopian food for beginners.
It teaches you the basics and includes some of the more popular recipes, along with mouth-watering photographs.
It is a great way to build your confidence with a new cuisine if you have less experience in the kitchen.
- Simple - The recipes are simple and easy to follow
- Photography - The photographs are very helpful
- Recipes - It includes the most popular Ethiopian recipes
- Basic - More advanced chefs won’t be able to get much use out of this book
How To Choose The Best Ethiopian Cookbook
All of these cookbooks look amazing, so how do you know which one is going to be best for you? Here are some things that you should keep in mind when deciding which book to buy.
If you have never cooked Ethiopian food before then you will need clear instructions that are easy to follow.
This will ensure that you are doing everything correctly. They should be in a step by step format with simple wording.
It is best to find a book that includes photographs and/or illustrations and diagrams to give you visual aids, and to show you what the final dish is supposed to look like.
Ethiopian cuisine has a variety of different dishes including meat stews and vegetarian recipes.
Make sure that the cookbook you buy has a good range of recipes that you can try so you have a comprehensive introduction into the cuisine and the cooking style.
You should also make sure that there are plenty of recipes included in the book, so that it will last you a long time.
When you start learning how to cook a different cuisine, it means getting used to using new ingredients.
Make sure that the ingredients included are available in your local area or to buy online. It is helpful if the cookbook includes some guidance on how to use these new ingredients.
Any of these books would be an excellent choice for helping you learn how to make Ethiopian food.
They include a great range of recipes and clear instructions to help you understand what you are supposed to be doing.
All of these cookbooks are written by female chefs and will help you to develop your cooking skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about Ethiopian cooking.
What Is Ethiopian Cuisine?
Ethiopian cuisine is characterized by earthy and spicy flavors that are paired with tart, sour flavors for a unique blend of tastes.
There are various different stews, some with meat and some with vegetables, and legumes like chickpeas are also used.
What Is The Most Famous Ethiopian Dish?
One of the most well known Ethiopian dishes is Shekla Tibs.
It varies depending on who makes it, but it tends to be pan fried meat with butter, garlic and onion. It is served in a clay dish with various side dishes and condiments.
Is Ethiopian Food Typically Spicy?
Ethiopian food tends to be very spicy but it is also aromatic and full of flavor.
When you cook Ethiopian food at home you can use less chillies or chili powder to make it more mild if you need to.